ThePipingMart Blog Grades AMS 4110 Aluminum Alloy – Composition, Properties, and Uses

AMS 4110 Aluminum Alloy – Composition, Properties, and Uses

AMS 4110

Metal alloys are known for their strength, toughness, and capability to withstand harsh conditions. One such metal that is popular in various industrial applications is AMS 4110. AMS 4110 is an aluminium alloy with excellent performance and durability in extreme environments. This blog will discuss everything you need to know about AMS 4110, including its composition, physical and mechanical properties, uses, hardness, and heat treatment.

What is AMS 4110?

AMS 4110 is a term that you might have heard of in the context of aerospace manufacturing. But what is it exactly? AMS 4110 is a specification document that outlines the requirements for the heat treatment of aluminium alloy parts in the aerospace industry. It includes details such as the type of alloy, the required temperature range, and the cooling rate needed to achieve the desired mechanical properties. Compliance with this specification is essential for ensuring the safety and performance of aerospace components. So, whether you’re an engineer or aviation enthusiast, having a basic understanding of AMS 4110 can deepen your appreciation for the intricate processes involved in aerospace manufacturing.

AMS 4110 Composition

AMS 4110 is an aluminium alloy that primarily consists of aluminium, which makes up 93.2% of its composition. The remaining 6.8% of its composition includes copper, magnesium, zinc, and other minor metals. The presence of copper prevents corrosion and wear, magnesium enhances the alloy’s strength, and zinc improves the alloy’s machinability.

AMS 4110 Physical Properties

AMS 4110 has excellent physical properties, making it a popular choice for industrial applications. It has a density of 2.8 g/cm³, a melting point of 572°C, and a thermal conductivity of 124 W/m°C. Additionally, this alloy has a coefficient of thermal expansion of 22.4 µm/m°C and a specific heat capacity of 900 J/kg°C, making it ideal for high-temperature environments.

AMS 4110 Mechanical Properties:

The mechanical properties of AMS 4110 include a high tensile strength of 410 MPa, yield strength of 350 MPa, and an elongation of 10%. It also exhibits good fatigue resistance, making it a suitable material for stress-bearing applications. Moreover, it has excellent formability and weldability, allowing easy fabrication processes.

AMS 4110 Uses

Due to its excellent properties, AMS 4110 is widely used in various industrial applications, such as in the manufacturing of aerospace components, military vehicles, and marine vessels. It can also be used in the automotive and construction industries. The alloy’s resistance to corrosion, wear, and strength make it a popular choice for these applications.

AMS 4110 Hardness

AMS 4110 has a hardness range of 68-72 Hb, making it a relatively soft material. It can be easily machined and formed, which makes it ideal for various applications that require complex shapes.

AMS 4110 Heat Treatment

AMS 4110 can be heat-treated to improve its mechanical properties. The heat treatment process involves solution heat treatment and precipitation hardening. Solution heat treatment is performed at 510 – 520°C for 30 minutes, followed by quenching in water or air. Precipitation hardening is done in two stages, where the first involves ageing at 140°C for two hours, and the second is ageing at 160°C for 16 hours.


In conclusion, AMS 4110 is an aluminium alloy with excellent properties, making it a popular choice for various industrial applications. It has excellent physical and mechanical properties, including high tensile and yield strength, good fatigue resistance, excellent formability and weldability, and the ability to withstand extreme temperatures. Its resistance to corrosion and wear and its strength make it ideal for manufacturing aerospace components, military vehicles, and marine vessels. With proper heat treatment, you can improve its mechanical properties even further. Overall, AMS 4110 is a highly versatile alloy that can meet the demands of various applications.

Related Post