ThePipingMart Blog Grades Copper Alloy C15000 – Composition, Properties and Uses

Copper Alloy C15000 – Composition, Properties and Uses

Copper C15000

Copper is one of the most commonly used metals worldwide, and its use dates back to ancient times. Over time, several copper alloys have been developed for specific uses, and one such alloy is Copper C15000. This alloy has unique properties make it ideal for various applications, ranging from electrical and thermal conductivity to industrial machinery. This blog post will explore the composition, physical and mechanical properties, uses, hardness, heat treatment, welding, and corrosion resistance of copper C15000.

Copper C15000 Composition

Copper C15000 is an alloy of copper, chromium, and zirconium. The alloy has a copper content of 98%, while the remaining 2% comprises chromium and zirconium. Combining these elements gives C15000 unique properties such as high strength, excellent thermal and electrical conductivity, and great resistance to wear and corrosion.

Element Content (%)
Cu 98.8
Zr 0.15

Copper C15000 Physical Properties

Copper C15000 has excellent physical properties, making it highly suitable for industrial and other applications. The alloy has a density of 8.89 g/cm3, a thermal conductivity of 198W/m-K, and an electrical conductivity of 85% IACS. This alloy’s thermal and electrical conductivity is very high, making it suitable for wire and cable applications.

Properties Metric Imperial
Density 8.89 g/cm3 0.321 lb/in3
Melting point 980°C 1796°F

Copper C15000 Mechanical Properties

Copper C15000 has excellent mechanical properties, making it an ideal material for industrial machinery. The alloy has a tensile strength of 800 MPa, yield strength of 600 MPa, and an elongation rate of 10%. It is also highly resistant to wear, making it suitable for constructing engine components, bearings, and industrial valves.

Properties Metric Imperial
Tensile strength, ultimate 430 MPa 62400 psi
Tensile strength, yield 415 MPa 60200 psi
Elongation at break (in 50 mm) 15.00% 15.00%
Modulus of elasticity 129 GPa 18700 ksi
Machinability (UNS C36000 (free-cutting brass) = 100%) 20% 20%

Copper C15000 Equivalent

  • ASTM B224
  • SAE J461
  • SAE J463

Copper C15000 Uses

Copper C15000 is widely used in several industries and applications. It is used in constructing electrical and electronic equipment for its excellent electrical conductivity. The alloy also produces heat exchangers, industrial machinery, and aerospace industries. The high strength, hardness, and wear resistance make it ideal for parts of engines, bearings, and industrial valves.

Copper C15000 Hardness

Copper C15000 has a hardness of 180 HB, which is relatively high. Its hardness makes it highly resistant to wear and ideal for use in parts that experience constant friction and abrasion, such as gears and bearings. The alloy can also withstand high temperatures without losing its hardness, making it suitable for high-temperature applications.

Copper C15000 Heat Treatment

Copper C15000 can be heat-treated to enhance its properties. Heat treatment involves heating the alloy to a specific temperature and cooling it quickly to produce the desired properties. Heat-treating copper C15000 can increase its hardness, improve strength, and enhance its resistance to wear and corrosion.

Copper C15000 Welding

Copper C15000 is highly weldable using various welding processes such as TIG, MIG and spot welding. Welding results in strong joints that can withstand high stress and wear. However, as with any welding process, it is important to ensure that the welding process does not alter the properties of the alloy.

Copper C15000 Corrosion Resistant

Copper C15000 is resistant to wear and corrosion due to chromium and zirconium. The alloy can withstand high temperatures and acidic and alkaline environments and is also resistant to chemical corrosion. This makes it ideal for use in corrosive environments such as the construction of chemical plants, marine vessels, and offshore platforms.


Copper C15000 is a versatile, durable, high-performance copper alloy widely used in various industries and applications. Its unique combination of properties, such as high strength, excellent thermal and electrical conductivity, and great resistance to wear and corrosion, make it ideal for applications such as electrical and electronic equipment, aerospace industries, and industrial machinery. Understanding the properties and uses of copper C15000 makes it possible to make informed decisions about its use in different applications.

Related Post