ThePipingMart Blog Grades Tantalum UNS R05400 – Composition, Properties, and Uses

Tantalum UNS R05400 – Composition, Properties, and Uses

Tantalum R05400

Tantalum R05400 is a refractory metal known for its high corrosion resistance, melting point, and excellent mechanical properties. Because of its unique properties, it is widely used in various industries, including electronics, chemical processing, and aerospace. This blog post explores the composition, mechanical and physical properties, uses, and applications of tantalum R05400. From its corrosion resistance to heat treatment, we will delve into the specifics of this remarkable metal.

Tantalum R05400 Composition

Tantalum is a heavy, greyish-blue metal belonging to the refractory metal group. Tantalum R05400 comprises 99.95% pure tantalum, making it one of the purest forms of tantalum available. The remaining 0.05% comprises small amounts of other elements such as iron, silicon, and titanium.

Tantalum C O N H Nb Fe Ti W Mo Si Ni Ta
R05400 0.010 0.015 0.010 0.0015 0.100 0.010 0.010 0.050 0.020 0.005 0.010 Remainder

Tantalum R05400 Mechanical properties

Tantalum R05400 has excellent mechanical properties. It has a high melting point of about 2996°C (5425°F) and is ductile, meaning it can be quickly drawn into wires or stretched into thin sheets. It also has a high modulus of elasticity and a low coefficient of thermal expansion. These properties make it perfect for applications in aerospace, where high-temperature performance is critical.

Grade Tensile strength “>, psi (MPa), ≥ Yield strength “>, psi (MPa), ≥ Elongation in 1 inch gage length, %, ≥
RO5400 25000 (172) 15000 (103) 25

Tantalum R05400 Physical Properties

Tantalum R05400 is a dense metal with a specific gravity of 16.6. It has a low electrical conductivity, which makes it useful as a material for capacitors. Tantalum has a high boiling point, making it highly resistant to thermal shock. It is also highly resistant to hydrochloric, sulfuric, and nitric acid.

Coefficient of
Thermal Expansion (min/in)-°F
Thermal Conductivity BTU/hr-ft-°F Specific Heat BTU/lbm -°F Modules of Elasticity (annealed)2-psi
at 68 °F at 68 – 212°F at 68 – 1832°F at 200°F at 32 – 212°F in tension (E)
0.286 9.2 20.5 9.3 0.12 28 x 106

Tantalum R05400 Uses

Tantalum R05400 is used in various industries, including aerospace, chemical processing, and electronics. In the aerospace industry, it is used to make aircraft engine components, coatings, and heat exchangers. It is resistant to chemicals in chemical processing, making it perfect for reactors and valves. It is also used in capacitors for electronic devices such as smartphones and laptops.

Tantalum R05400 Corrosion Resistance

Tantalum R05400 is resistant to most chemicals, including acids and alkalis. It is highly corrosion-resistant, making it perfect for aggressive chemical environments. Its corrosion resistance property makes it a preferred material in manufacturing reaction vessels, heat exchangers, and other essential equipment in the chemical industry.

Tantalum R05400 Heat Treatment

Tantalum R05400 is heat-treatable, meaning that it can be hardened by heat treatment. The heat treatment involves heating the material to a specific temperature and then rapidly cooling it to achieve a desired hardness level. This process changes the material’s structure, making it stronger and more durable.

Tantalum R05400 Machining and Welding

Tantalum R05400 is a difficult material to machine because of its high melting point and tendency to work harden. Machining must be done with extreme care to avoid cracking, chipping, or damaging the material. On the other hand, tantalum R05400 welding is an easy process. It can be easily welded using TIG or MIG welding.


Tantalum R05400 is a remarkable metal with unique properties that suit various applications. Its high corrosion resistance, melting point, and excellent mechanical properties make it a preferred material in the aerospace, chemical processing, and electronics industries. The metal’s physical and chemical properties make it resistant to various chemicals and highly useful in aggressive environments. Grinding and welding Tantalum R05400 require considerable care, but once these processes are mastered, tantalum is a reliable metal that can meet a wide range of engineering needs.

Related Post