Nimonic alloy 90, also known as UNS N07090 or W.Nr. 2.4632, is a nickel-chromium-cobalt combination of superalloys used in high-temperature applications. Developed by British Special Metals in the 1940s, Nimonic has become one of the most popular superalloys for use in high-temperature environments due to its strength and resistance to corrosion and oxidation. Let’s explore what makes this alloy so special and how it can benefit your business.
Nimonic 90 Composition
Nimonic 90 is an alloy composed primarily of nickel (72%), chromium (15%), cobalt (9%), titanium (1%), and aluminum (1%). It also contains trace amounts of manganese, silicon, copper, molybdenum, and carbon. This composition provides excellent high-temperature strength with good creep resistance up to 1500°C/2730°F. The addition of titanium gives Nimonic 90 superior corrosion resistance against oxidizing atmospheres like chlorine at high temperatures.
What are the Benefits?
- Due to its chemical composition, Nimonic 90 has many benefits that make it a great choice for various applications such as jet engines, gas turbines, and heat exchangers. Here are some benefits that make this alloy stand out from other superalloys:
- High strength at elevated temperatures
- Good creep resistance up to 1500°C/2730°F
- Excellent oxidation & corrosion resistance up to 800°C/1470°F Excellent weldability with minimal cracking or distortion
- High thermal stability
- Good fatigue & stress rupture properties
- Low coefficient of thermal expansion All these properties make Nimonic 90 the perfect choice for use in any application requiring extreme temperatures, such as turbine blades or stationary components exposed to hot gases.
Nimonic 90 Equivalent
In addition to meeting ASTM standards for NiCr20Co18TiAl, Nimonic 90 may also be referred to by other industry standard grades such as AMS 5829, AMS 5662, and Werkstoff 2.4632N. It may also be referred to as Udimet Alloy L-605 or Haynes 25 or Pyromet Alloy X-750 in different countries around the world. Conclusion: As you can see, there are many advantages that come with using Nimonic Alloy 90 for your applications requiring extreme temperatures or corrosive atmospheres. With its high strength at elevated temperatures along with excellent creep resistance and weldability properties—as well as good oxidation & corrosion resistance—there’s no doubt that this alloy will serve you well! If you’re looking for an ideal superalloy solution that won’t let you down under pressure, look no further than Nimonic Alloy 90!
Pipingmart is B2B portal specializes in industrial, metal and piping products. Also, share latest information and news related to products, materials and different types grades to help business dealing in this industry.