Being highly corrosion resistant and recyclable, stainless steel fasteners are very popular and have many uses. Making mistakes can prove really bad while choosing the right fasteners. Here are some of the mistakes one should avoid:
- Choosing The Wrong Grade: checking the grade of the steel before using the fastener is very important. Best corrosion resistance, better than any other fasteners, is offered by grades 304 and 316. 316 stainless steel provides amazing resistance against the effect of metal oxidation.
- Contamination Of The Exposed Surface: when the bare stainless steel is exposed to the atmosphere, it is automatically exposed to rusting because of metal dust. This causes internal decay of the material. In such cases, the part should be covered with stainless steel fasteners.
- Making Conditions Favourable For Galvanic Corrosion: when two metals or alloys come in electric contact with each other, corrosive effect comes into place and galvanic corrosion occurs. If fasteners are used on a certain object, this galvanic corrosion can take place with the fastener too. This is why one has to be careful and check if there is a possibility of galvanic corrosion taking place. Nylon washers can be used for preventing metals from touching each other.
- Opting For The Low Nickel Stainless Steel: the 200 series of stainless steel has a deficiency of chromium, high proportion of manganese, and low proportion of nickel. This chemical composition is not the right choice, since it does not resist corrosion.
- Improper Cleaning Schedules: regular cleaning of the parts is very important. The life of the steel depends on the cleaning schedule. If the particles settle on the steel, it becomes difficult to clean them and restore the original look of the steel. Exposing the surface of the steel to rainwater, makes sure all the dust particles get washed away and the protective layer of the steel is retained.
- Rough Finishing: if the stainless steel fasteners have a coarse and rough finish, dust particles get entrapped in those small areas and destroy the topmost chromium oxide layer which protect the steel from corrosion. A fastener with a smooth finish is preferred, since the dust particles don’t stick on it, and it is easier to clean.
Pipingmart is B2B portal specializes in industrial, metal and piping products. Also, share latest information and news related to products, materials and different types grades to help business dealing in this industry.