Stainless steel demand is increasing day by day, it increases by 5% every year, In the year 2019, the global production reached around 5million tons. In today’s times, a huge number of industries are using stainless steel, Beside construction and traditional, the household industry also using stainless steel. Although stainless steel is cheaper than low-carbon steel, its superior performance improves durability and reduces cycle costs.
What is stainless steel?
- As we all know, steel is a carbonaceous black metal with a maximum carbon content of 2.1%. Stainless steel is a group of steel that resists corrosion by adding alloying elements.
- The term stainless steel is used to describe a group of approximately 200 alloy steels with excellent heat and corrosion resistance. The carbon content can be in the range of 0.03% to 1.2%.
- Its distinguishing characteristic is the high amount of chromium. Stainless steel contains a minimum of 10.5% of chromium improves corrosion resistance and strength.
- The chromium in the alloy forms a passivation oxide layer when it comes in contact with air. This layer prevents further corrosion and makes the alloy essentially rust-proof. This mechanism allows you to maintain a flawless appearance for a long time under normal operating conditions.
- 303, 304, and 316 are all part of the same stainless steel family every type of stainless steel with the 3xx moniker is indeed part of the same series of austenitic stainless steel. This means that they all have certain same chemical properties.
Properties of stainless steel.
- Durability- The hardness of stainless steel 303 is high, Reflecting its ability to resist strain. It is durable and resistant to external influences. Therefore it is considered as long-term.
- Conductivity- As we know stainless steel 304 is a good conductor of heat and electricity, that is why even the home appliances industry uses steel, also the electric wiring industry.
- Lustre- One of the physical properties of stainless steel 316 is that it is attractive from the outside it is silver in color and has shiny finishing. Lustrous outer surface.
- Rust Resistance- The addiction of some elements makes some type of steel resistant to rust.
- Tensile Strength- Tensile strength is the amount of stress that stainless steel can before becoming structurally deformed.
- Low maintenance- Stainless is due to an ultra-thin passive Chromium Oxide layer on the surface, but in the absence of this layer, the material is rapidly corroded. So good care should be taken of this oxide layer to ensure stainless steel will last a lifetime. In other words, stainless steel is not at all maintenance-free.
Pipingmart is B2B portal specializes in industrial, metal and piping products. Also, share latest information and news related to products, materials and different types grades to help business dealing in this industry.