ThePipingMart Blog Products Aluminum 1100 Fasteners – Composition, Properties, and Uses

Aluminum 1100 Fasteners – Composition, Properties, and Uses

Aluminum 1100 Fasteners

Aluminum 1100 Fasteners is a popular alloy used in many industries due to its excellent corrosion resistance, high ductility, and lightweight properties. As a result, it’s often used in the production of fasteners. In this blog post, we will closely examine the composition, physical and mechanical properties, uses, heat treatment, and corrosion resistance of Aluminum 1100 Fasteners.

What is Aluminum 1100 Fasteners?

Al 1100 Fasteners are specialized fasteners made from grade 1100 aluminum, a low-strength and highly malleable alloy perfect for cold-forming. These fasteners provide high ductility and corrosion resistance, making them ideal for various construction and machinery applications.

Aluminum 1100 Fasteners Composition

Aluminum 1100 is a pure aluminum alloy comprising a minimum of 99% aluminum. The remaining 1% comprises small amounts of other elements, like silicon, iron, and copper. The purity of the aluminum in this alloy makes it highly malleable and easy to work with.

Grade Si Fe Cu Zn Mn Mg Ti Cr Al Others(Total)
Aluminium 0.40 – 0.80 0.70 max 0.15-0.40 0.25 max 0.15 0.8-1.2 0.15 max 0.04-0.35 Balance 0.15 max

Aluminum 1100 Fasteners Physical Properties

1100 Aluminum Fasteners have a 2.70 g/cm³ density, making them very light compared to steel. It has a melting point of 660.4°C and a boiling point of 2467°C. Additionally, it has a thermal conductivity of 222 W/(m*K), which is quite high.

Physical Property Value
Density 2,70 g/cm³
Melting Point 582 °C
Thermal Expansion 23.4 x 10^-6 /K
Modulus of Elasticity 69 GPa
Thermal Conductivity 170 W/m.K
Electrical Resistivity %43 IACS

Aluminum 1100 Fasteners Mechanical Properties

At room temperature, 1100 Al fastener has a tensile strength of 90 MPa and a hardness of 27 Brinell. However, its low mechanical strength makes it less suitable for applications requiring high load-bearing capabilities.

Temper Tensile Hardness
Ultimate Yield Elongation Brinell
KSI MPA KSI MPA %
T6, T651 45 310 21 145 25 65

Aluminum 1100 Fasteners Uses

Because of UNS A91100 fasteners excellent corrosion resistance, Aluminum 1100 Fasteners are ideal for use in the marine industry, where they are exposed to saltwater. It’s also typically used in food packaging because it is non-toxic and easily recyclable. Other applications include wire products, welding fillers, and heat exchangers.

Aluminum 1100 Fasteners Heat Treatment

The alloy is soft and ductile at room temperature; however, a cold working process involving rolling, spinning, and drawing can increase its strength. Aluminum 1100 Fasteners cannot be heat-treated, making cold-working processes the only way to achieve stronger alloys.

Aluminum 1100 Fasteners Corrosion Resistance

One of the significant advantages of Aluminum 1100 Fasteners is their excellent corrosion resistance. Thanks to the natural oxide layer on the surface of the metal, it’s highly resistant to corrosion. This makes it ideal for use in harsh environments. However, it can corrode when exposed to high temperatures or in contact with corrosive media.

 

Conclusion:

Aluminum 1100 Fasteners offer excellent corrosion resistance, lightweight and non-toxic properties, making them an ideal choice for the marine and food packaging industries. Understanding their composition, physical and mechanical properties, uses, heat treatment, and corrosion resistance is essential to ensure they perform adequately in various applications. Therefore, aluminum 1100 fasteners are a great option for applications that will not require heavy load-bearing capabilities.

Related Post